18 May 2009

Notre Dame Abortion

Do you remember when Cheney came to BYU? Well reverse the side that reacted. One of the big deals headlining the president's visit was the issue of abortion. Before I begin my little opinion on the matter, I just want to convey as to how INEFFECTIVELY the religious right conveys their message/viewpoint.

Dear cross-carrying-acid-spewing religious right,

Look I'm religious, but don't you realize how badly you alienate people without AND within your faith by doing this. Do you want to reverse Roe v. Wade or continue to sit on your prideful high horse casting aside any possibility of meaningful dialogue.

You can't fool me. What you do is self-gratifying? You do it to make yourself feel better. I'm the sinner because I'm not "Christian" and your going to heaven. I get it. Does it make you feel better to vilify people?

Now back to the issue of abortion. Is the issue of abortion black and white? Well from a Latter-day Saint perspective it is not. In cases of rape, incest, or in the interest of the life of the mother: abortion is an option. Notice I said option, as some Latter-day Saints will vehemently push their personal opinion that NO FORM of abortion is acceptable.

As for me. I go by what I listed earlier. Abortion can be considered in special situations of moral and physical dilemma. So do I advocate abortion for unplanned pregnancy: no. Absolutely not.

But, do I advocate turning over Roe v. Wade? No. This boggles lots of my friends in the LDS church.

Point One: I don't advocate overturning Roe v. Wade because I'm sincerely interested in the health of women. I think there should be a safe option for women who wish to have an abortion. It doesn't make what they do right. But think of the severe emotional and mental duress many women are under when they have an abortion. Think of that desperate girl who sees her life crumbling before her. Yes of course, I advocate counseling and support for these prospective mothers, but ultimately some will choose to have an abortion. I would prefer a safe option, as some will choose a very unsafe option because of desperation.

Point Two: I believe in separation of church and state. Many arguments surrounding abortion revolve around this idea of when the spirit inhabits the fetus. What if the prophet definitely said "When the baby takes its first breath, the spirit enters its body." Would your opinion of abortion change? If not, good stick to your guns. If it does, does this make your stance against abortion a religious issue? I want a just and moral society, but I believe this should be done without creating a theocracy. So I hesitate overturning Roe v. Wade if it is JUST a religious/spiritual issue.

Anyways, I'll stop there. Once again, I think it is terribly wrong for women to have abortions merely because of family-planning or as a way of rectifying an accident. Terribly and horribly wrong. There are so many who wait, and wait to adopt. But I think the best action to take is not to overturn Roe v. Wade but to continue to do our best to influence and sway society (show them why abortion is a harmful choice) and provide a support network for single mothers (especially one that encourages adoption for single teenage mothers).

1 comment:

Carina said...

I'm with you on all counts.

Abortion should be safe, legal, and RARE.