11 September 2009

Obama's Speech


I wish I graduated BYU when Dick Cheney spoke at the commencement. Unfortunately, I needed the following Fall semester to wrap up and finish all my needed classes. Anyways, I bring this up to pose this question to my fellow cougars: Remember the protests?

I remember when I heard Dick Cheney was coming, I though "Really? That is so cool. The vice president." And at the same time I very much enjoyed the protests and the alternative commencement. By the way, I totally went to the alternative commencement and it was awesome (like in a funny and serious way).

So, really, the behaviour that took place happens on BOTH sides. But at the same time, I became really frustrated over the reaction that students had about the president.

I mean, who cares about politics. It is the PRESIDENT. The Commander in Chief. The leader of your country. Doesn't that position alone make him someone worth supporting to some degree. I mean, even if it is just to hear him out. JFK, FDR, and Reagan all belonged to political parties... but they were also something greater.

Obama may not gel with every political belief you may hold... but his motivation is the same as yours. He wants to make this country better. So ya vote him out at the next elections. But when he wants to tell your kid to stay in school, why don't we let them listen to this important historical figure.

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Mike said...

oh but then he would brainwash all the children Rich, don't you know? I'm saddened to see that we treat each "side" with such deep mistrust. I wish I had my child in school, hearing the president speak would be a great chance for her to react to his ideas, and for discussion. When we get so polarized, all it does is alienate. But listening and having thoughtful reactions fosters understanding. I thought the text of the speech was wonderful. Too bad for all those kids whose parents had them home shooting hoops (or out smoking behind the barn.)

Marge Bjork said...

and too bad for the parent who called in to my sister's school and complained that they didn't want that n* brain washing their child.

Do I live in my own little world? Because I have a really hard time understanding how this behavior continues on into adulthood.