04 January 2008

I do not heart Huckabee

Romney was the ONLY hope the Republican Party had for me to even consider me voting conservative this year. Why? First, although Romney is pandering to America's cursed Religious Right, his presence on the ticket would be their worst fear: I quite enjoy that thought. Second, although Romney was pinned as a political flip flopper, his real life reflected what family-oriented Americans wanted in a politician. Basically, Romney to me was a genuine character and if elected would be like a John F. Kennedy, minus the philandering, in that he would have a lot to prove and thus introduce careful and calculated policy.

However, I believe what we saw in Iowa is the future of the 2008 U.S. Elections. We will have Obama and Huckabee on the ticket. But you know what, I am not that disappointed. Why? I love Obama. I think he shares many of the characteristics that Romney possesses. He is a young, charismatic, and handsome politician who would have a lot to prove in office. Obama will do wonders for America's perception abroad. For domestic issues I would have preferred Clinton, but overall Obama has some good ideas for important issues such as health care and his pledge to start cutting into the pockets of CEOs.

Something I would really like to see happen in the 2008 elections (if it does turn out that Obama will take on Huckabee) is for Utah to become a blue state. I think the odds have never been better: wake up Mormons, the Republican Party hates you. REAL conservatives need to take back their party from intolerant religious bigots and fear-mongering neoconservatives.

3 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

I was considering looking into a few of the republican candidates more seriously but I read something last night that almost guarantees I'll be voting dem. Right now the Supreme Court Justices are pretty evenly matched between liberals and conservatives but our liberal judges are all close to retirement and will probably be replaced in the next four years. I want a president who will appoint liberal justices to maintain that balance.

Marge Bjork said...

although I also found out the other day because of our dear OLD voting system and caucuses, I can't even pick the candidates. Thank you elitism.

Marge Bjork said...

I haven't read any US papers about Ron Paul but apparently the French are calling him "Docteur Non" (Dr. No) as in he's...well, like you said, he's radically saying no and speaking up about things. Which I thought I would like but I'm kind of finding scary. Maybe just because he's libertarian and although I don't like to admit it I might be turning into a biased democrat.