11 March 2009

The Wild West

Beckel Admits To Hannity: Fox's Health Plan Rejected Me

Sean Hannity doesn't understand much about health care, and why should he? Disease has always existed, yet AMERICA has endured! Doesn't that mean that universal health care is just unnecessary? Hannity calls to mind a simpler time, where men were men, and women were respectful, and people with scarlet fever and tuberculosis had the decency to say, "No, no! Let me just quietly die in this alley! I don't want to be a part of some depressing set of statistics!"

The above is taken from an article on Huffington Post, and I could not have said it better. I remember listening to Harry Reid during a devotional at Brigham Young University. He spoke about being a Democrat and Mormon. He put his speech in the context of his family's life before the New Deal. He grew up in a coal mining community where people worked hard, but despite how hard they worked they still had a severe lack of health services, education, transportation service, among many other necessities. However, he spoke about how Democrats ushered in a wealth of government programs to provide equal opportunity for even the poorest of Americans. This is what I believe in as well.

And you know what? I would like to think that most Republicans think this way as well. When it comes down to it, they want poor kids to access to good education like rich kids, right? They want poor people to have access to health care, right? However, many Republicans paint a picture that would take the government COMPLETELY out of the equation.

This is the type of thinking that puts people like Hannity in awkard situations like this:

HANNITY: I'm on the Fox Plan and the AFTRA Plan. I have no clue what insurance I have. I don't have a special health care plan! I have the same plan that you do.

BECKEL: No you don't. I don't have a health insurance plan.

HANNITY: You work for FOX, you're on the FOX plan.

BECKEL: I don't qualify for the Fox plan, because I have a pre-existing condition.

2 comments:

tara said...

I haven't really put together an argument because you always win with health care - I suck at this subject.

But speaking of the Huffington Post, there is this really great article on Mormons/prop8. I think what makes this guy REALLY credible is that he still believes in over-population. Didn't all those dudes jump ship like 20 years ago to the Global Warming bandwagon?

Anyway, this is the article.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-gregory/sean-penns-suit-against-t_b_174089.html

rich said...

Tara, you are right. The Huffington Post gets some RIDICULOUS articles. It is because so many different writers contribute to it.

And I completely agree, there are some stuck up people on the liberal left. They are completely on the offensive.

The article you linked to is so interesting. There is no effort at all to reach across and negotiate. It is just, "Hey no matter what your religious beliefs are, it doesn't matter because it as all fairy dust." I don't like that.

Not that I wanted Prop 8 to pass necessarily, but the No-on-8 crowd could have gone a lot farther if they made the effort to assure that religious rights would be respected along with gay rights. I think the majority of people who were on the fence about Prop 8 were mainly worried about how same-sex marriage would affect them.

I wish politics took place on the middle ground. But it seems the key to politics is just to get people's attention.