02 August 2007

How frank should we be about Church History?

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I honestly believe I'm part of the best thing on the planet. One of my passions is being completely frank about church history and addressing pressing issues, or at least discussing them. Never at any time during my questioning of church doctrines or church history have I ever felt the church wasn't God's true church. I was reading today on lds.org as a break from my regular MCAT study and read this statement from Boyd K. Packer. This statement is from the FULL transcript from an interview given for the PBS documentary "The Mormons". And I quote:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Helen Whitney: Is there a conflict between a faith-promoting work of scholarship and factual scholarship? Is there a conflict at all?

Boyd K. Packer: There can be. Some things that are true aren’t very useful. And
there are those in the past who have looked at the leaders of the Church,
for instance, and found out that they’re human and want to tell everything.
There are steps and missteps that don’t help anything. Some think that to be
totally honest they have to tell everything. They don’t. If they’ve got the
mindset for that, then they’re always grumbling — they have an appetite for
it. They’re free to do that, but it isn’t really productive, it doesn’t
really make anybody happy.

Someone you knew, say when you were in college, made a terrible mistake. You knew about it, and it was forgiven and lived beyond. There’s little purpose in going back and digging that out and speaking of it when their children might be present — a lot of things that are true historically aren’t very useful and don’t generate happiness.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Fantastic! These are my exact feelings when I'm asked tough questions about my faith, and I think Elder Packer puts it wonderfully here. Here's the link to the article.

No comments: